Andrew Murray was born in 1846 in Ayrshire, Scotland according to his entry in the Aldine Centennial History. He arrived in NSW in 1860, first living at Goulburn until returning to Sydney a decade later. He moved to Macdonaldtown in 1879, where he opened a general store. He married Jennett (or Janet) Beattie in 1872. Their residence in 1888 was Erskineville Road Macdonaldtown. Andrew Murray died on 14 May 1915. He was buried in the Presbyterian section, Rookwood. He was living at Denison Street, Camperdown when he died.
Occupation & interests
Andrew Murray moved to Macdonaldtown in 1879 and operated a general store. Larger premises at the corner of Erskineville Road and George Street were completed in 1885.
Local government service
Andrew Murray was an alderman on Macdonaldtown (Erskineville) Council in 1887-91. He was mayor in 1889.
Morrison, W. Frederic 1888, The Aldine centennial history of New South Wales illustrated, The Aldine Publishing Company, Sydney.
‘Death of Mr A Murray’, Sydney Morning Herald, 17 May 1915 p. 10, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/28110733