Andrew Wandsworth was born in 1845.
His father, also named Andrew, was born on 29 October 1815 at Holmfirth, Yorkshire, England, the son of William and Mary Woodsworth [sic]. On 23 December 1834 at Holmfirth, he married Hannah Robert (d.1880, aged 65) and had at least three sons and two daughters. He died in Sydney on 13 April 1876. He was buried in the Church of England section of Rookwood Cemetery.
Occupation & interests
Andrew Snr and Hannah Wadsworth and their family, including their 11-year-old son Andrew Jnr, arrived in Sydney from Liverpool as assisted immigrants on the Conway on 30 December 1856.
Andrew Wadsworth Snr established himself as a builder and contractor. In May 1860, he and John Cuthbert were granted a Sydney City Council contract for the construction of walls at Market Wharf. In 1865 his son William became a contractor and joined his father in the construction of a Reservoir Boundary Wall at Paddington. From 1860 to 1875, Andrew Wadsworth Snr lived at 11 Mill Street, Pyrmont.
Andrew Wadsworth Jnr, also a builder, lived in Harris Street. The Wadsworth family owned and ran the Emu Inn, a coaching inn in Regent Street, Chippendale.
Local government service
Andrew Wadsworth was the Alderman for Phillip Ward from 1 December 1880 until his resignation in early 1883.
‘Mr Andrew Wadsworth for Philip Ward’, The Sydney Daily Telegraph, 30 November 1880, p. 3, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article238295350
‘Darling Harbour steam stonedressing works’, The Sydney Morning Herald, 29 April 1880, p. 6, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article13459081
‘Alderman Wadsworth’s Departure’, Evening News, 24 February 1883, p. 5, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article107229806
City of Sydney Archives: Archives Investigator; Photo: CRS 54/494; NSCA CRS 51/2841, demolition books, 1900-1949
Society of Australian Genealogists: Rookwood Index
State Records of NSW: Immigration Indexes