Charles Glencross was born in Lancashire in 1846 and arrived in NSW in 1874 on the ‘Samuel Plimsoll (2)’, aged 28 with his wife Ann, 24 and son Elias. His wife Ann had another 5 children in NSW. His residence in 1892 was John Street Macdonaldtown. He died at his residence, Desmond, Boronia Road, Bankstown 10 April 1928 and was buried in the Congregational section, Rookwood.
Occupation & interests
Charles Glencross trained as carriage builder at Holmes works, Dublin and London, carriage builders to Queen Victoria. After arriving in Sydney, he worked at Vial’s carriage works rising to foreman. In 1884 he established his own carriage works in Erskineville Road Macdonaldtown. Glencross had a number of entries in the Centennial Intercolonial Exhibition including a new design for a phaeton, and hansom cab and a dogcart in January 1888. By 1888, he had 25 employees. He patented his design for hanging doors on coaches on 19 January 1888. In March 1889, Glencross won a court case against Sage for infringing his design. Charles Glencross was bankrupt in January 1895 due to the depression.
Charles Glencross was a Justice of the Peace (JP).
Local government service
Charles Glencross was an alderman on Erskineville Council in 1892-94 and 1905-10, representing North Ward.
Morrison, W. Frederic 1888, The Aldine centennial history of New South Wales illustrated, The Aldine Publishing Company, Sydney.
‘Coachbuilders and Wheelwrights Work’ Sydney Mail, 28 Jan 1888, p. 186, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/164360014
‘Law Report’, Sydney Morning Herald, 4 March 1889, p. 7, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13716169