Henry Hollinshed was born in London in 1800, son of William and Elizabeth (nee Allin). Henry Hollinshed and his wife Marian had three daughters born in Sydney between 1834 and 1836. Henry Hollinshed, son of William and Elizabeth, died at his property, “Frogmore Lodge” in Botany, NSW, in 1866. Henry was buried in a family grave at Camperdown Cemetery, in the grounds of St Stephens Church, Newtown. Marian Hollinshed died at Sydney in 1877, aged 67. His brother and partner Allen Hollinshed died in Sydney in 1876 aged 70. He was buried at Haslams Creek Cemetery (now Rookwood).
Occupation & interests
Henry Hollinshed was a flour miller. In 1838 Henry Hollinshed of Kent Street south bought 59 acres at Botany. By 1844 Hollinshed Brothers (Henry and Allen) had mills and houses in Kent Street. In 1863, Henry Hollinshed’s steam flourmills were located at 543–45 Kent Street. In 1842, he gave a series of lectures on chemistry at the School of Arts. Hollinshed was appointed Assessor for Phillip Ward on 7 September 1842.
Local government service
Henry Hollinshed was a Foundation Councillor for Cook Ward, 1 November 1842 to 31 October 1843. He was against the adoption of special regalia for aldermen and advocated the use of oil rather than gas for lighting the city.
Information on Henry Hollinshed and the Hollinshed family courtesy of Helen Bain.
City of Sydney Archives: Aldermen’s Files
Golder, Hilary: A Short Electoral History of Sydney City Council 1842-1992, City of Sydney
State Records Office: Col Sec re land