John Carson came from northern Ireland. He had been born there in about 1834 to William and Jane Carson. By 1900, he lived as 6 Erskineville Road, which was re-numbered as 46 Erskineville Road by 1904. John Carson died from diabetes at his residence 46 Erskineville Road on 23 February 1913. He left his widow plus two sons and four daughters. The 1913 Electoral roll showed that Elizabeth and Jane Carson were also living with him as well as Mary Ann Carson, dressmaker. John Carson was buried in the Presbyterian section, Rookwood cemetery.
Occupation & interests
John Carson had been an early entrepreneur in blue metal industry at Kiama opening two or three quarries, one of which was later acquired by the NSW government. After selling his business, he was manager for George Hill’s Bombo quarry.
Local government service
John Carson was an alderman on Erskineville Council in 1901-02, representing North Ward.
Kiama Independent and Shoalhaven Advertiser, 26 February 1913 p. 2, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/102131723
Sydney Morning Herald, 25 February 1913 p. 10, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15400775