Aaron Loveridge was baptised 18 July 1824 at Lyncombe and Widcombe, Somerset, England, the son of Samuel Loveridge and Sophia Critchlow. He married Catherine Williams (1827-1904) 10 July 1848 at Lambeth St Mary, Surrey, England, and they had four sons and two daughters. Loveridge and his wife immigrated to Sydney, NSW in 1852. He died 17 June 1888 at his home in West Street, Petersham, aged 63 years, and was interred in the Old Church of England Section of Rookwood Cemetery. He left no Will. Aaron Loveridge lived in Vine Street, Darlington.
Occupation & interests
Working as a mason in his early years at Buckingham Palace, Aaron Loveridge came to Australia in 1852, and year a later commenced business as a master builder in Sydney, raising many splendid structures of which the Great Hall of the University of Sydney, under Architect Edmund Blacket, the foundations of the General Post Office, Sydney; fortifications on Georges Heights; two towers and pinnacle of St. Andrew’s Cathedral, Sydney; and the spire of St. John’s Church, Darlinghurst, are but a few.
Local government service
In 1864 Aaron Loveridge with others, headed a petition for the incorporation of Darlington as a municipality. The petition was granted and he was elected one of the alderman. Aaron Loveridge was an alderman on Darlington Council in 1864-75.
‘Advertising’, The Sydney Morning Herald, 26 September 1864, p. 4, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13105849
Building: the magazine for the architect, builder, property owner and merchant, Building Publishing Co, Sydney, Vol. 3 No. 24, 12 August 1907, pp. 44-47, http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-280047768
‘A Stalwart of the Building Industry’, Construction and Local Government Journal, 27 June 1928, p. 13, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/109729942/11177255
‘Famous master builder passes’, Construction, 19 September 1951, p. 9, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article222886982