Alexander Swanson was born about 1813 to William and Janet Swanson in Scotland. When he married Helen Ross at Woolloomooloo on 19 June 1863, his address was Queensland. By 1872, Alexander Swanson, grazier, was living at Erskineville Street, Macdonaldtown. He moved to Goulburn in about 1884 and purchased the Landsdowne Estate. After living for some years in Inverell with his son, he retuned to Goulburn about 1898. He died at his residence at Bourke Street, Goulburn, on 29 June 1900 leaving behind a son and three daughters. He was buried in Goulburn Presbyterian cemetery.
Occupation & interests
Alexander Swanson was a grazier. In June 1856, he was recorded as holding the Yabber run in the District of Leichhardt, measuring 16,000 acres. At one stage, he lived at Monsildale station in Queensland.
In July 1871, Alexander Swanson was elected a member of the committee of the newly formed Presbyterian Lay Association. He took an active role in the Presbyterian Church in Sydney and Newtown.
Local government service
Alexander Swanson was a member of the first council elected for Macdonaldtown in July 1872. He was an alderman on Macdonaldtown (Erskineville) Council in 1872-73. He was mayor in 1873.
‘Crown lands beyond the Settled Districts’, NSW Government Gazette, 5 June 1856, p. 1603
‘Marriages’, Sydney Morning Herald, 22 June 1863, p. 1, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13080469
‘Presbyterian Lay Association’, Sydney Mail, 22 July 1871 p. 650, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/164374568
‘Obituary’, Goulburn Herald, 2 July 1900, p. 2, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/100760065