Charles Brandling Newton Henderson was born in Sydney on 17 April 1845 to Robert Brandling Henderson and his wife Elizabeth (nee Shepherd). Charles Henderson was living at Camellia Grove in 1872. A year later, Charles and his brother Robert were operating a nursery at Kings Clear, in the vicinity of today’s Alexandria. He died at his residence ‘Wansbeck’, Nelson Bay Road, Waverley on 23 May 1897.
Occupation & interests
Charles Henderson’s father started a nursery named Camellia Grove. In 1860, Charles joined his brother Robert managing the business. They specialised in roses and dahlias. By 1889, the nursery occupied 5½ acres. Henderson Road was gazetted in 1878 thanks to their lobbying, and was named after them.
Local government service
Charles Henderson was a member of first council elected for Macdonaldtown in July 1872. He served on Macdonaldtown (Erskineville) Council in 1872-77, and was also alderman on Alexandria Council 1876-83, serving as its mayor and Returning Officer in 1878-83. Henderson headed up a petition in 1884 to divide the Borough of Alexandria into three Wards.
Australian Men of Mark 1889. Charles F Maxwell, Sydney, Volume 2, Series 1, Appendix, p 27
‘Deaths’, Sydney Morning Herald, 25 May 1897, p 1, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14105222