Edward Fowler (Ned) Lawson was born 8 March 1862 at Emerald Hill, Victoria, the son of James Jackson Lawson and Catherine Ann Elder. He married (1) Christine Ellis (1861-99) on 24 November 1892 at Waterloo, NSW, and they had three sons and two daughters. He married (2) Louisa Maria Morehouse (1862-1941) on 30 September 1903 at Marrickville, NSW. Lawson died at Eastwood, NSW, on 3 September 1925, aged 63 years; he was buried at Rookwood Cemetery in the Old Church of England section. He left a Will and his estate and assets were assessed at £3,399. Edward Lawson lived in Botany Road, Alexandria.
Occupation & interests
Edward Lawson moved with his family from Victoria at the age of 12 years to Redfern, NSW. At the age of 21, he became a master builder and contractor, constructing buildings in the Sydney centre and suburbs.
Lawson was commissioned as a Justice of the Peace (JP) in 1903.
Local government service
Edward Lawson was an alderman on the Alexandria Council for three terms representing the West Ward: 1901-07, 1911-16 and 1918-19. He served as mayor in 1915-16.
‘Municipal Elections’, The Daily Telegraph, 3 January 1901, p. 2, https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/237346917