George Ouvrier was born at Vineyard in 1885 and spent his early life at Windsor. In 1911, he married Mary Sullivan and the couple went on to have six children. His address in 1917 was Alvira Canterton Street in Hurlstone Park. George Ouvrier died at Sacred Heart Hospice, Darlinghurst on 6 November 1949. He was then living at 50 Augusta Road, Manly. He was buried in the Roman Catholic cemetery, Frenchs Forest.
Occupation & interests
George Ouvrier was a grocer at 40 Swanson Street in 1913, where he remained for some years.
In his youth, George Ouvrier played cricket with the Camperdown and Newtown clubs where he was known as a left hand batsman. He was president of the St Marys Branch, Erskineville of the Hibernian society. George Ouvrier was a justice of the peace (JP). In September 1924, George Ouvrier was appointed as a trustee of Erskineville Park.
Local government service
George Ouvrier was an alderman on Erskineville Council in 1917-28, representing North Ward. He was mayor in 1919 and 1925.
‘Western Suburbs Juniors’, Arrow, 14 March 1919 p. 2, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/103519390
‘Personal’ Windsor and Richmond Gazette, 23 Jan 1920, p. 10, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/85875566
NSW Government Gazette, 19 September 1924, p. 4429, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/220237845
‘Australian Football’, Arrow, 6 March 1925 p. 15, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/103547038
‘Personal’ Windsor and Richmond Gazette, 9 Nov 1949 p. 1, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/85662371