James Green was born at Penzance, Cornwall, in 1825. He married Mary (1824-1868), also born in Penzance and later, Margaret (1833–1905), born in Scotland, with whom he had a son and a daughter. He died at Waverley on 12 June 1908, aged 84, and was buried with his second wife at St Jude’s Church of England in Randwick
Occupation & interests
James Green may have been the migrant who, aged 25 arrived in Sydney in 1849 on the Petrel. In 1859, James Green, painter, was living at 57 South Head Road. From 1867, he advertised as an oil and colour man and in 1877, as a painter and glazier of 57 Oxford Street. In 1885, Green, oil and colour merchant, had premises at 217 Goulburn Street and his private residence at Birrell Street, Waverley. He obtained painting contracts from Sydney City Council including the Gentlemen’s Baths in 1867, the skylights of the George Street Markets in 1867 and Belmore Gardens in 1868. Green Park near St Vincent’s Hospital was named for him
Local government service
James Green served as Alderman for Fitzroy Ward, 1 December 1869 to 30 November 1883.
City of Sydney Archives: Aldermen’s Files; NSCA CRS 871/160(g), City Engineers Photographs II, 1967-1973; Photos: CRS 54/495; 54/521; and 54/543
Society of Australian Genealogists: AGCI index
State Records of NSW: Reels 2136, 2459