James Timothy Lane Sutton was born on 7 December 1870 at Cork, Ireland, the son of Nathaniel Sutton and Anne Lane. He married Ann Maria Geary (1870-1940) at St Mary’s Cathedral, Sydney, and they had five sons and three daughters. Sutton died at Marrickville, NSW, on 1 January 1933, aged 62 years; he was buried at Rookwood Cemetery. He lived in Belmont Street, Alexandria.
Occupation & interests
James Sutton for some time engaged in mercantile pursuits, but after making several trips overseas in company with his uncle, who was a captain in the merchant service, he settled in Sydney. Sutton was district President of the Hibernian Australian Catholic Benefit Society 1899-1900 and also held the position of National Secretary for many years.
Sutton was commissioned as a Justice of the Peace (JP) in 1900.
Local government service
James Sutton was an alderman on Alexandria Council 1902-04 representing the South Ward. In 1906, Sutton was appointed Temporary Council Clerk and Treasurer to the Borough of Alexandria. He was the council Returning Officer in 1908 and a year later he became Town Clerk; both these positions he held until 1914 when he was appointed Town Clerk for Canterbury Council.
Municipal Elections’, The Sydney Morning Herald, 13 February 1902, p. 6, https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14464193
‘Obituary’, Catholic Freeman’s Journal, 5 January 1933, p. 18, https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/146110816