Lewis Moore Snr was born in 1797 in London; his father was also called Lewis Moore. In 1823 at Hobart he married Mary Shoobridge from Kent and had one son, also named Lewis, born in 1824. Lewis Moore Jnr was married to Charlotte Twomley Smith (d. 1867) on 1 January 1846; he died at Manly in 1885.
Lewis Moore Snr died on 25 July 1856 and was interred at the old Sandhills Cemetery and was later removed to the family vault at Manly Cemetery.
Occupation & interests
Lewis Moore Snr enlisted in the 46th Infantry Regiment in 1814. He arrived in Australia on the Ocean on 30 January 1816 and proceeded to Hobart under Lieutenant Colonel William Sorrel. He transferred to the 56th and 58th Regiments to remain in Australia and was discharged at his own request. In 1839 he settled in Sydney with his family, living at 67 Castlereagh Street. He owned Horbury Terrace at Macquarie Street and property at Castlereagh Street.
His son Lewis Moore Jnr (d.1885) became a wealthy ironmonger; he built Briarbank on the original Forest Lodge estate in 1862.
Lewis Moore was a member of the Grand Lodge of Mormons, serving as Master in 1841 and 1842. He was also a member of Glebe Congregational Church.
Local government service
Lewis Moore was Councillor for Phillip Ward from 1 November 1847 to 31 October 1851.
City of Sydney Archives: Aldermen’s Files
Glebe Society bulletins
Society of Australian Genealogists: Cemetery transcripts
‘Discharged Soldiers’ Purchases…’, Sydney Morning Herald, 15 April 1841, p. 4