Robert Maze was born c1819 at Fintona, County Tyrone, Ireland, the second son of Robert and Margaret Maze. He married Margaret Todd (1824-92) on 19 November 1846 at the 2nd Ballinahatty Presbyterian Church, Drumragh, Tyrone, Ireland. They had a daughter before immigrating to Sydney, NSW, in 1853 on board the ship ‘David McIver’. They had a further three sons and three daughters, all born in Sydney. The family lived at Shepherd Street, Darlington. Robert Maze died on 2 March 1888, aged 70 years, at his home at 70 Cambridge Terrace, Newtown. He was interred in the Old Presbyterian Section of Rookwood Cemetery; his tombstone is adorned with Masonic symbols. He left a Will and his estate and assets were assessed at £15,068.
Occupation & interests
Robert Maze and family arrived on the David McIver on 1 September 1853. From 1857 to 1861, he lived at Shepherd’s Paddock. In connection with his contracting business, Robert Maze was a regular successful tenderer for Sydney City Council work during the period 1860-80. Maze was a Freemason and a member of the Grand Lodge of Freemasons of Ireland. In 1870 he had freehold property at 3 Cambridge Terrace on Newtown Road. By 1885, he was in business with his brother as Maze Brothers, coal and wood merchants, of Abattoirs Road.
Robert Maze was appointed as one of the Trustees for the expenditure of the sum of £200 voted for fencing and planting land on the Newtown Road opposite Victoria Park and upon completion of the work he was appointed as one of the Trustees of the land which was to be used for public purposes. Robert Maze was a justice of the peace (JP).
Local government service
In 1864 Robert Maze with others, headed a petition for the incorporation of Darlington as a municipality. The petition was granted and he was elected one of the founding alderman. Maze was an alderman on Darlington Council in 1864-75 and on several occasions he was the Council’s Returning Officer. His son Henry was also an alderman on Darlington Council.
Robert Maze was an alderman on City of Sydney Council for Phillip Ward from 26 July 1872 to 30 November 1879.
‘Advertising’, The Sydney Morning Herald, 26 September 1864, p. 4, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13105849
City of Sydney Archives: Photos: CRS 54/516; 54/535
State Records of NSW: Bounty Index