A William Cox married Alice Lispscomb in Newtown in 1876. William Cox lived on Maria Street (now Darley Street) in 1883, and later lived at ‘West Lynne’, on Wells Street, Newtown.
Occupation & interests
William Cox was listed as a produce merchant but also tendered to Newtown Council for kerbing and guttering in 1880 (six shillings per yard) and in 1883 (for nine shillings and seven pence per yard).
On 17 May 1897, William Cox of ‘West Lynne’, Wells Street, Newtown was appointed as a Justice of the Peace (JP).
Local government service
William Cox was also an alderman on Newtown Council from 1889 to 1901 and from 1905 to 1910. He was Mayor of Newtown in 1897. He was also an alderman on Erskineville Council in 1900 to 1902, representing South Ward.
Cox was brought onto Newtown Council to represent Camden Ward, in October 1889 on the death of Jeremiah O’Connell. In 1891 he moved that the municipal footpaths be paved in brick rather than asphalt tar paving, and that concrete rather than stone be used for guttering.
In February 1895, William Cox nominated Alderman Harold Morgan as Newtown Mayor and in September 1896 Alderman Morgan returned the favour. There were equal votes for Cox and Jim Smith in the 1897 mayoral election. Lots were drawn, and William Cox was Newtown Mayor that year. Noteworthy events of his year in office were: shop-owner C G Hatte paying for an ornamental fountain at Newtown Bridge; and the suicide of Percy Deacon, who had been charged with embezzlement after six years of service with Newtown Council. William Cox resigned from the Works Committee in June 1898. He nominated the manager of the New Steam Brick Works, Elias James Harber, to Newtown Council in the 1901 election. He continued to serve as an alderman for much of the coming decade.
‘Biographies of the Early Aldermen’, Newtown Project website: http://www.newtownproject.com.au/local-council-info/biographies/27
NSW Government Gazette, 18 May 1897, p 3431