William Henry Jackson was born in Fitzroy, Victoria about 1868, moving to Erskineville in about 1894. In 1894, he married Margaret Annie McTaggart. He may have been the William Jackson who was living at 6 Swanson Street in 1903, where he remained for some years. The 1913 Electoral Roll shows William Henry Jackson, manufacturer was living at Lauff Street, Rockdale with his wife Margaret Ann and daughter Ethel. He died aged 49 on 3 August 1917, at Lewisham Private Hospital, Petersham. He was then living at Riccarton, Villiers Street (formerly Lauff Street), Rockdale. He left behind a widow Margaret Annie and two children.
Occupation & interests
William Henry Jackson was a boot manufacturer. He was a member of the firm of J Tanner & Co, manufacturing boots at 21 Burren Street. In February 1904, the partnership of Joseph Tanner, William Henry Jackson and John McKinlay was dissolved and a new partnership named ‘Jackson and McKinlay’ was formed. The firm’s works were at 11 Burren Street. In July 1912, he retired from the firm.
Local government service
William Henry Jackson was an alderman on Erskineville Council in 1903-10, representing North Ward. He was mayor in 1908-10.
‘Alderman W H Jackson’, Sunday Sun, 5 April 1908, p. 5, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/227129765
‘Roll of Honour’, Sydney Morning Herald, 4 August 1917, p. 12, http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15745122
State Archives NSW, NRS 13660, Probate 4/81341